Sewing Project – Treats for Tricks!
Making progress on the dog bait bags sewing project. In retrospect, I really should have just done a sample first and then tweaked the pattern, as I’ve already identified some things I’d like to change. I’ll make a mental note for next time! All pieces were cut out:
4″ circle in heavy canvas
12.5″ x 4.5″ rectangle in heavy canvas
4″ circle in ripstop nylon
12.5″ x 7″ rectangle in ripstop nylon
First, I sewed the sides of the nylon and canvas. I then pressed open the canvas.
Next, I rolled down the top of the nylon sack to make the cord drawstring chamber (left) and put on a loop of double-side velcro on the canvas (right).
I put the nylon sack inside the canvas sack, pinned it and hand-basted it in place. After that, I put the flat cording on the top, pinned it and fought to sew it down. Next time, I believe I’m going to use some of that iron-on web mesh to adhere it before sewing it down as the whole thing moved like crazy as I tried to sew it.
The last step was putting the rolled cord in the tube for the drawstring. I’m glad I had a bodkin to run the cord through the nylon or I’d have been more frustrated than I was. When I went to put the ends of the cord through the cord-stop, the paracord kept separating. I just couldn’t get it to work and kept getting more and more frustrated. I need bigger cord-stops.
On the next one, I’m going to be making a flap with a magnet on it (and its match on the side of the bag), so you can put the flap over the top of your pants in case you don’t have a belt loop for the velcro. I think it turned out pretty well…now I just need to make 11 more.
Dog Bait Bag project…done!