I’ve been monitoring and testing the kombucha, and Wednesday night was the time to break it down and bottle it.
This photo is a little deceiving. Not only did my gallon jar fill these three bottles, but also a 32 ounce glass carboy, a glass for myself, and enough to put the scoby floating in liquid in the fridge.
Also not pictured is the bottling prep. Everything – sink, counters, bottles, pump – was thoroughly washed, then rinsed with vinegar, then rinsed two more times. In two of the three clear glass bottles, I added dried fruit. Those will spend another week or so on the counter doing another round of fermentation. The rest went in the fridge. I put the scoby in about a cup of liquid in a glass bowl, covered it and put it in the fridge. I figure I’ll get another round going this weekend.
Now, the scoby is much bigger than when I started, but not big enough to split yet. I think maybe one more batch and it will be ready to divide. It sure is an ugly, nasty thing. But it makes such a lovely drink! Just look at the lovely color and those bubbles!